Counting the Cost of Following Christ
Today we take a look at counting the cost of following Christ. What does that look like?
How do we know following Christ is costing us anything? The following list gives us an idea of some areas we may run into a confrontation when following Christ:
- Who may oppose us – Government, Religious People, Family
- Our natural response – Fear and worry
- Possible pressures – Threats, physical harm, pubic ridicule, rejection by loved ones
- Needed truth:
- The truth will be revealed – Matthew 10:26
- Our soul cannot be harmed – Matthew 10:28
- God himself will acknowledge us if we acknowledge him – Matthew 10:32
- God’s love can sustain us – Matthew 10:31
“Jesus helped his disciples prepare for the rejection many of them would experience by being Christians. Being God’s person will usually create reactions from others who are resisting him.”
When you reflect on your life, do you find yourself in any of the categories above?
Is following Jesus costing you anything? Yes or no? If so, what is it costing you?
If it’s not costing you, are you really following Him?
By counting the costs, we find that Jesus is worth it.
Dear Lord. I thank you for sending your son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sin. Jesus paid the ultimate price for our sin, a gift we don’t derserve, but by your grace we freely receive when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, so thank you. Lord, I pray for others who may be struggling with whether to follow Jesus or not. I pray someone somewhere will give their life to Christ today. As I watch this world grow darker, I pray Lord more people would see the light. Father, thank you for all you have done in my life and the lives of my family and friends. Praise you Lord for your faithfulness. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen.
The Teaching Lady