Today, we are going to look at some of the events from 2020 to see how they may or may not relate to end times stuff.
End times stuff?
Yes, end times stuff.
Very few people talk about end times, but I think it’s important to discuss especially with everything happening. Personally, I believe the Lord could return at any moment. I hope you are ready.
Where are we?
There’s a children’s song we listen to frequently around our house. It goes like this, “Are we there yet? Not yet. Are we there yet? Not yet. Let’s play a game; look at where we are.”
Survey of the land
Given everything happening in the world today, we should survey where we are and look at some of the events of 2020 so far. Are we in the last days? Is what’s happening end times stuff? Is the Lord returning soon? I don’t know about you, but I sure hope so.
I am sure you would agree that 2020 has been unlike any year previous in our lifetime, at least in my lifetime.
These days it’s not uncommon to hear words like “unprecedented,” “never happened before,” “first time,” “haven’t seen this in over 50 years,” “unheard of,” “never in the history of.” You can add your own descriptive words for 2020. I started writing down the unprecedented events of 2020 in my journal. I am now on page 3.
Let’s look at some terms that define these unprecedented days we’re living in and cross-reference them with Scriptures from the Bible.
1. Scoffers – Are there scoffers? Yes. Were we told there would be scoffers in the last days? Yes again. In the book of Jude, we read, “They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” Jude 1:18
“Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised?” 2 Peter 3:3-4
2. Persecution – Is the church experiencing persecution? Yes. Look at what happened recently to churches in California. Christians around the world are being persecuted. In the past week, a few churches in France have experienced deadly attacks. Sadly, people were killed. 2 Timothy 3:12, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.”
3. Sinfulness – Sinfulness is rampant in America and no wonder. Galatians 5:19-21, “The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.”
Do we see any of this in America today? Around the world? The answer is yes.
4. Wickedness – Many people have evil thoughts, do evil things, and invent more evil things. Jesus said in Luke 17:26-30, “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also it will be in the days of the Son of Man. People were eating, drinking, marrying, and being given in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark. It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting, and building. But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all. It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed.”
We see an increase in wickedness, similar to the days of Noah and Lot. I cannot recall a time in history where thousands of evil spirited people wished the president would die from COVID-19. Real curses and other spiritual attacks were being poured out over the president. Regardless, this isn’t about liking the president or not. You can not like someone, and that’s fine, but to wish he would die is going too far, in my opinion.
5. Lawlessness – We’re seeing lawlessness today like never before. We have seen huge spikes in murders, crimes, injuries to innocent people, shootings, and destructive rioting. The Apostle Paul warned us days like this would come.
2 Thessalonians 2:1-12 speaks to this. Let’s look specifically at verses 7-8, “For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who holds it back will continue to do so until he is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming.”
6. Strife – There is a heightened level of hatred in America. Just check out social media outlets and news, and it won’t take you long to pick out the deep hatred some have for others. Hatred creates strife. Are we warned about strife and hatred? Yes. Proverbs 10:12, “Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.” Folks, we need more love and a lot less strife.
7. Love has grown cold for many – There is a great lack of love in this world. So many people hate others and hold nothing back when expressing their hatred. Much of this, I believe, is attributed to the increase of wickedness. Matthew 24:12, “Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold.”
8. Sickness – COVID-19 – Need I say more? I lost someone special in my life to COVID-19 this year, so I know this virus is something to be respected. We should not be careless, but be cautious, especially around senior adults. What does the Bible say we should do if we are sick? Let’s look at Psalm 30:2, “Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me.”
9. Storms – This year, natural disasters have been unprecedented. Hurricane Zeta just roared through the Gulf of Mexico, making landfall as a Cat 2 in Louisiana. We have surpassed the 2005 record of most named storms, and we still have a month to go. It is said Louisana has seen 5 named storms this year alone.
The Philippines just got hammered by a super typhoon a few days ago.
California has seen some of its largest wildfires this year. The fires are still burning.
Colorado is also experiencing some of it’s largest wildfires in history. One day they are on fire; the next day, they are blanketed with snow.
Other states are seeing ice storms and snowfall early this year.
Flooding has been pretty prevalent in other countries around the world.
Luke 21:25, “There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.”
10. shaking – Earthquakes are happening more frequently and growing in intensity this year. Luke 21:11, “There will be great earthquakes, famines, pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.”
Folks, are we there yet?
I’m only halfway through my 2020 list. Due to the length of the list and all the Bible references, I will split this up into a few blog posts.
I also realize there isn’t too much there to be excited and happy about. Some would say I was a real downer. Where’s the encouragement? What about hope? Can you offer us any hope? Any? Anywhere?
What does all this have to do with end times stuff? Stick around and you will see.
When I am writing this, we are a few short days away from the 2020 Presidential Election. If you are a praying person, please be in prayer for our country, its leaders on both sides, and all people who live in the United States of America.
Pray that the Lord’s will would be done here on earth as it is in heaven. I don’t know what will happen, but I believe the Lord knows already and sees everything.
Hope? My hope isn’t in any elected candidate. I have put my hope and faith in Jesus Christ! No matter what happens on November 3, I trust in the Lord to see me through the days, weeks, and months ahead.
Why? Because as I look at the ten items above, the Bible told me those things would happen, and they have.
The Lord asks us to trust him.
Next time we are together, we will look at more from my 2020 list and tie them to Scripture. In the meantime, stay close to the Lord. Pray. Spend time in the Bible and be looking up.
Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord, your God will be with you wherever you go.”