Welcome back! Today, we’re looking at step 6 – the church. If you are joining us for the first time today, thank you. If you are returning, thank you. We have spent the last five days looking at the beginning steps for new believers.
We are taking our material from the little booklet titled, Beginning Steps – A Growth Guide For New Believers.”
“Jesus personally established the church while he was on earth to unite Christians as a spiritual family (read Matthew 16:17-18).
The word “church” means “called out ones.” It is made up of people who have been called out to follow Jesus. The term is used to refer to all believers but is more often used to denote a local group of believers.
Why be faithful to a local group of believers?
A church is a group of baptized believers voluntarily joining for instruction, fellowship, worship, and service. (Acts 2:42-47)
1. Through your local church, you receive instruction. Jesus has given spiritual leaders to the church (read Ephesians 4:11).
2. Through your local church you have the privilege of fellowship. God has placed individuals in families for their care, protection, fellowship, and development. You need the church for all the reasons you need a family and many more.
3. Through your local church you meet to worship. What are some of the things that happen when you worship? (read Colossians 3:16)
4.Through your local church, you have opportunities for service. The church is the proper avenue to serve God. God has given you special gifts and abilities in order to serve. (read Romans 12:6-8)
Jesus taught in Matthew 28:19 that the church’s mission is to: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations.”
- Sharing eternal life with the world
- Baptizing new believers
- Teaching the Bible
- The joy of ministering in Christ’s name
- Giving your money, time, and talents
The word “church” means “called out ones.”
Four reasons to be faithful to your church:
- Receive instruction
- Privilege of fellowship
- Meet to worship
- Opportunities to serve
The mission of the church is to make disciples.
You’re doing great. The best is yet to come!
“I rejoiced with the who said to me, ‘Let us go to the house of the Lord.'” Psalm 122:1
Disclaimer: The above material was taken from the book titled “Beginning Steps – A Growth Guide For New Believers” published by the North American Mission Board.
This little booklet was so helpful to me. I hope it helps you as well.
Join me tomorrow as we look at Step 7 – our final step in the journey. I can’t wait!